Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Catching up with recent past experiences


I was not prepared when it came to the move down to Texas. I have never fully experienced Texas, let alone the people who live here. I was thinking to myself, "these people have got to be just like us, without the seasonal depression."


Well I have to admit, the people are nice and very accommodating but it is a different world compared to Minnesota. I came to this conclusion when I visited the stockyards located in Fort Worth.


It is a place where the true cowboy seems to emerge out of everyone and shit kickers (cowboy boots) are a must. Built in 1889 the stockyards soon became the worlds largest horse and mule market in 1917, during WWI. Cattle drives are still done daily at 11:30 am and 4:00 pm.


Although the cattle drives are not huge it is still fun to watch. Trust me, I was very tourist friendly when it came to taking 30 pictures of long horn cattle walking down the main road.


People are also very interested in who you are, they can tell a foreigner from a mile away. Your first words are usually what gives you away. "Hello," is not a word used in a introduction by a Texan. If it doesn't include "Y'all," well your just shit out of luck.


When Cannon and I were looking at rodeo tickets we came across this problem.

"How y'all doin you folks pick en up a pair of tickets?"

"Hello, were not sure."

"Oh, you folks ain't from here are ya? Where you from?"

"Minnesota."

"Oh, well shit, you gotta go to this rodeo, it's the best in town. Get your self a box seat, you're guaranteed to get shit in your beer."


Needless to say we were sold, plus the guy offered to buy us shit less beer. Who turns that down?


After pouring down pounders and listening to several anthems included with women in bedazzled cowboy outfits and Texas/American flags, the show began.


I remember thinking to myself, "wow I could actually get used to this cow poke shit." Until I came encounter with calf roping. I don't know what it is but after watching calves run for their life only to be caught with a rope around their neck and tied up, I lost the patriotic feel.


After drinking shitty beer we decided to hit up a bar. We ended up landing at a McNasty's (great name right?) This place became ten times cooler when we found out we were able to smoke there. It also included a awesome honky tonk band sure to please anyone with a raised pickup. Needless to say I would attend McNasty's any day.


All in all the night was fun and I would have to say I give props to the shit kicker's and McNasty's.


Any night that ends in a Whataburger has got to be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment